Milly Francis (1802 of 1803 -1848)

Depiction below is inspired by period images of Creek women

Milly Francis was born in 1802 or 1803 along the banks of the Alabama River, just below the head of the juncture of the Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers.  Her parents were Josiah and Polly Francis, Creek Indians of both European and American Indian descent.  Between the years of 1800 and 1811, Milly lived in a prosperous household and there was relative peace between the Creeks and United States.  Milly was fluent in multiple languages.

In 1812, traditionalist prophets called for an end to accommodation with the United States. Milly’s father, joined the movement as a prophet, destroyed his cabin, barns and livestock and returned to a more traditional lifestyle.  The family then moved to the south side of the river about halfway between what is now Selma and Montgomery.  The settlement became known as Ecanachaca or Holy Ground.

 Warriors from surrounding areas began to congregate at Holy Ground and it was there that the traditional war symbol of the red club was raised by Josiah Francis.  His followers became known as Red Sticks and Holy Ground became the war capital. The war began as a civil war between Creeks, but after violent confrontations at Burt Corn Springs and Fort Mims, the United States entered the war against the Red Sticks.  As American troops came closer to Holy Ground, the women and children were evacuated.  After a defeat at Holy Ground, Francis joined his family in West Florida. 

In 1818, Duncan McKrimmon, of Milledgeville, Georgia, an American troop stationed in Milly’s area, became lost in the forest after a fishing trip and was captured by the Red Sticks. As the warriors prepared to execute him, Milly interceded on McKrimmon’s behalf and the warriors spared his life.  A few days later, he was traded to the British for a goodly quantity of rum.  The story of the rescue was publicized in the Milledgeville newspaper. 

 Following her heroism in 1818, she witnessed her father and suitor executed.  In 1819, she settled at Tuckabatchee where she began rebuilding her life.  She married an Indian warrior, Cochan Hoboithley.  They had eight children, of which three survived to adulthood.  In 1836, she and her children were forced to join the trail of tears, marching 20 miles a day on little food or water.  Meanwhile, her husband was with a Creek Regiment of Mounted Volunteers sent to Florida.  After fulfilling his military obligations, he started west to join his family.  He died at Pass Christian in July of 1837 before he was able to rejoin his family.

 While investigating frauds committed against the Indians, Col. Ethan Allen Hitchcock sought out Milly to hear the story of McKrimmon’s rescue from her own lips.  Moved by her story, and seeing the poverty to which she was subjected, he petitioned the Secretary of War to have Congress approve a small pension for Milly.  A bill was passed and a pension of $8 per month was approved.  Congress also approved that a medal be awarded to Milly in an expression of gratitude.  Milly died of consumption just days before the money and medal arrived.

 Milly exhibited strength and perseverance in the face of war and removal, while ensuring the preservation of her family and culture, and showed great strength in poverty while remaining compassionate through adversity.



Past Inductees
Alabama Women's Hall of Fame
Judson College

© 2005 Alabama Women's Hall of Fame